Monday, May 10, 2010

Missions through Prayer

Chapter 2 Highlights

  • Prayer gives us the significance of frontline forces working on our behalf and gives God the glory as our limitless Provider
  • Prayer secures the supremacy of God in missions while connecting us with His endless grace for our every need
  • "Life is war because the maintenance of our faith and the laying hold on eternal life is a constant fight"
  • Most times we turn prayer into a domestic intercom where we ask God to increase our comforts in life
  • When we turn prayer into that intercom for our conveniences, our faith begins to falter and prayer stops working
  • The doctrine of election does NOT make missions unnecessary; it makes missions hopeful
  • God does not place His Gospel and us, His people, in this world and leave us to fend for ourselves and wage this spiritual war on our own
  • The purpose of prayer is that the Father be glorified and our joy may be full
  • Prayer is the open admission that without Jesus Christ we can do nothing
  • "Prayer humbles us as needy and exalts God as all-sufficient"
  • "When missions moves forward by prayer, it magnifies the power of God. When it moves by human management, it magnifies man."
  • Give yourself to prayer if you know for sure you are asking for things which are for His Glory
  • The Gospel will push forth and triumph through prevailing prayer so that in all things God will be glorified through Jesus Christ

Lord-
May I pray with a heart and mind to glorify You
May I NOT use prayer as requests for increasing my comforts
May I lift up the Great Commission and all those on the mission field
May I continue to lean on You for my heart's desires and needs
May I rest in Your promises
May You use me to advance your Kingdom
May You mold me to keep up that genuine faith and passion for Your people

Ephesians 6:19-20
"Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."

1 comment:

  1. This really interesting. I often find prayer to be very confusing--its purpose. It seems that we are taught--or at least I have learned--that the purpose of prayer is primarily to ask God to fulfill my needs. While this can be true to some degree, I think that, in general, this perspective overlooks almost every point made here. Perhaps my entire understanding of prayer needs to be overhauled.

    Perhaps I'll pick up this book. Thanks. ^^

    ReplyDelete